Spring flowering bulbous plants can bloom on the terrace and in the garden as early as the end of winter
Choosing the right bulbs to plant in the fall is an easy adventure for everyone. Just don't get confused with summer flowering bulbous plants (dahlias, gladioli, lilies…). You can choose the famous tulips (there are 5000 varieties), the colorful daffodils, the fragrant hyacinths and many others.
Plant them in the right place
On the balcony, on the terrace or in the garden, the choice is yours. And if you want to extend the shelf life, you can take advantage of the different flowering periods. Some bulbs bloom at the end of winter (such as crocuses, snowdrops…), others at the beginning of spring (hyacinths, muscari, daffodils…) still others in mid-spring (allium, many types of tulips, frittillaria…).
How much land do we need? The general rule is that the bulbs should be planted twice as deep as their size, so the large bulbs will go deeper, while the smaller bulbs will stay just below the surface of the soil.
How to choose the direction of the bulb? It is simple, where there is a tip, the latter must be turned upwards, while for spherical bulbs, the direction is not important, because they bloom anyway.
A perfect pot from autumn to spring:
bulbs are also perfect for planting in pots, but they have the drawback of having an ephemeral flowering. How to do it then? It is enough to use the technique of planting in layers. This way you can enjoy almost constant flowering from autumn to late spring.
What is needed?
- 1 deep enough vase of at least 20/25 cm in diameter
- Expanded clay or volcanic lapilli to be placed on the bottom
- High quality universal soil
- A few flower pots of pansies
- Bulbs of crocus (crocuses), hyacinthus (hyacinths), tulipa (tulips)
How to do:
- Place a 3 or 4 cm layer of clay on the bottom of the container (it will help to avoid water stagnation to which the bulbs are very sensitive)
- Add a few inches of soil and place the tulip bulbs on top. Then continue in layers with potting soil, hyacinth bulbs, potting soil, crocus bulbs and finally fill the pot with soil.
- Plant the violets on the surface
Violets guarantee the ready effect in autumn, while bulbs, from the most superficial ones to the deepest ones, will guarantee an explosion of colors in spring.